History

With its humble beginnings as a sand and gravel producer in Austin, Texas, Capitol Aggregates has grown into a strong regional supplier of construction materials. With the ability to produce a wide variety of aggregates and cement, Capitol Aggregates truly has been A Texas Tradition since 1957.

1957 H.B. Zachry Company receives a contract from the United States Air Force to rebuild runways at Bergstrom Air Force Base in Austin. Rather than purchase materials from another supplier, the company determines it would be more efficient to start its own sand and gravel and ready mix operations. Capitol Aggregates is incorporated on March 27, 1957.
1959 Capitol begins dredging the Colorado River in Austin to increase the river’s depth and width. The huge endeavor took 12 years to complete.
1965 Capitol's cement plant goes online in San Antonio with capabilities of producing one million barrels — approximately 188,000 tons — of cement annually.
1968 The cement operation receives its first of 17 Portland Cement Association Safety trophies for a perfect safety record.
1981 Construction begins on a new crushed stone operation in Georgetown.
1983 The cement plant's dry kiln addition becomes a reality when the first clinker is produced in December.
1988 Capitol purchases Delta Materials which produces high-quality sandstone used to build safe, durable Texas highways.
2004 Capitol executes a long-term contract with Chemical Lime, Ltd. to mine aggregate materials on its property in Marble Falls.
2007 The company's efforts to expand continues with the completion of the Marble Falls Quarry and a new dredging operation at the Austin River Plant.
2014 Capitol Aggregates completes the divestiture of its Marble Falls quarry and supporting Seward Junction and Manor distribution terminals.
2014 1100 acres is purchased in New Braunfels, Texas. This new property will allow Capitol to focus its efforts in its core South Texas markets.